Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Prep

"Prep" written by Curtis Sittenfeld is exemplary of what it feels like to be an adolescent all over again. In re-introduces the reader to those feelings of envy & jealousy as well as confusion that you may feel the moment you realize that everyone has different socioeconomic standing which is based on assets as well as education.

For Lee, life at Ault seemed like an eye opener. At first the main character comes across as increasingly awkward, and internalizes ideologies from society with every experience. The moment she arrived at Ault was the moment that she realized that her reality was vastly different from those who she'd soon be in constant contact with. In class she saw how enthusiastic other children were about their education, as well as how easily engaged they were. In comparison, she saw her self as not easily engaged and spoke only when spoken to.

I really enjoyed these chapters. In chapter one Little spoke to Lee about stealing & said something to the effect of " stealing meant that you lacked subtly, revealing a wish for things you didn't have". It made sense to me that those who are have not's see these little material things that show that someone has money or assets. In chapter 1 Lee's father meets Dede's father & calls Dede's father 'Sir', which I felt immediately created a power differential. By calling him sir it showed that Dede's father is superior to Lee's father who happens to be in the mattress business.

For Lee, I feel like she incorporates every experience into her identity. She comes to realize how to try to assimilate with her peers and not seem like an outsider. Towards the end of chapter 2 she meets Cross. Cross is the guy that every girl wants & every guy yearns to be. Lee develops a crush on him & it seems for a moment that Cross is attainable , and in a league alike Lee's.

I feel Cross presents himself as an opportunity for Lee's upward mobility towards status quo at Ault. By becoming friends with Cross, Lee comes closer to being friends with her peers and no longer being excluded.

I don't understand why she keeps her hanging out with Cross from her room mates, if anything I believe it'd bring them closer. I think they can all relate as people, but it'd their social & economic status' which divide them.

This text somewhat reminds me of Hines text which suggests that most of out ideologies are learned and perpetuated by the societies in which we reside.

1 comment:

  1. Your point about Cross representing Upward mobility is a great one. Does this only work for girls? Or can boys gain status this way, too?

    ReplyDelete