Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"Fast Forward", Lauren Greenfield

I really enjoyed Lauren Greenfields photos which I felt perfectly portrayed teenagers in what seemed like the 90's. I feel that many of those photos would still describe teenagers in todays society.

While looking through the photos I payed close attention to the affect ( looks on faces) of all of the people captured in the photos. In one photo, there is a 13 year old girl weighing herself while her friends look like they're painting their nails, & her parents are peering in the room with smiles on their faces. I found it funny that at the age of 13 these girls were worried about gaining weight.

Greenfield also has a photo of 13 year old girls who are all dressed up with their hair professionally done. To me these girls seemed abnormally skinny , & almost like an impression of their mothers.

Greenfields photography show just how impressionable teenagers are based on their surroundings and based on the environment of their upbringing are constantly looking for a thrill, and the discourse of these photos tell that story.

Many of these adolescence seem to be of the upper tier in society, which also tells me that the life they seem to live to them seems like no big deal, but to us may be surprising. In another one of Greenfields photos, a 13 year old girl was standing at what looked like a bar ordering a soda. Hah, I found this photo extremely funny, but shocking. This girl already know the rules & functions of a bar. How to order a drink, & then pay for it.

Overall, I really enjoyed these photos !

1 comment:

  1. Do you see any connections between what these kids "know" and what Lee from Prep was trying to figure out at Ault?

    ReplyDelete